Saturday, August 8, 2009

Quilt for Fall Class, Punk Rock and Zucchini

Here's the quilt I'm working on. This will be the class I teach at Morning Out starting in September (8 Tuesday mornings, 9:15 - 11:15).

This is how I freeze zucchini. The blossom end is trimmed off and goes to the dog, the stem end goes in the compost. I shred the zucchini, then shove it into a 1 cup measure, pack it down, then flip it on to a wax paper lined cookie sheet. When it's frozen I throw it into a Tupperware or plastic bag. All winter long it goes into soups, stews, meatloaf, casseroles, etc. Wherever I can hide it, if you get my drift.

Last night DH and I went to the Festival of Friends. I wanted to see Steven Page, formerly of the Bare Naked Ladies, and Finger Eleven (formerly Rainbow Butt Monkeys - who thinks up these names?). We trundled into Hamilton with our folding lawn chairs and settled down on the grass around 6:45. Steven was scheduled to start at 7 and he was right on time. He was good - I really like his music, but he was a little boring as far as his presentation. Finger Eleven wasn't scheduled until 9 pm. I didn't want to lose our spots on the grass so we stayed for the in-between act. Hah! It was Marky Ramone's Blitzkrieg. OMG, punk from when I was in my 20's. Do you remember The Ramones? I knew most of the words. I was bopping away - those guys were just great. They didn't even stop between songs. There was a 'ONE TWO THREE FOUR' and they were off and running on another tune. They jumped and hopped and pumped their fists for over an hour - energy just pouring off them. Poor DH though. He's slinking further and further into his seat trying very hard to NOT stick his fingers in his ears. Johnny Cash is more his style so I have to give him credit for hanging in there with me. The crowd was getting thicker and thicker as the Marky band got closer to the end of their set and tons of people were standing up in front of us. Totally blocking our view of both the stage and the big screen video. And everyone smokes it seems. I thought smoking was in decline, but apparently not in the teen/20's age group. After the 12th person stepped on my foot without apologizing I decided we might as well pack it in. Even if we stood up I'd never be able to see 'cause I'm short. Too bad I didn't have my Red Hat Army with me to set those interlopers straight. Oh well, home early enough for a glass of vino and a slice of my deelicious Zucchini Loaf v.2.0 - lower fat and lower sugar. Recipe to follow in a day or two. Gotta keep you coming back for more, eh?

3 comments:

  1. Life just keeps discriminating against us short people! I love the quilt design for the class you're going to teach -- so clean cut and dramatic in design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a slice of my deelicious Zucchini Loaf v.2.0 - lower fat and lower sugar. Recipe to follow in a day or two. Gotta keep you coming back for more, eh? "

    Yeah, and a tried and true recipe will usually do it! Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious. Loved reading the post and imagining quilted punk rock zucchini.

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...