Thursday, March 3, 2011

ADHD? & UFO update

Back in October I was sooo sick of the garden I couldn't wait for a killing frost.  Now I am sooo sick of winter.  Even though I love routine (I have oatmeal for breakfast EVERY DAY and I eat my lunch at twelve noon EVERY DAY) I also get sick of the same thing day after day.  I need to change things up occasionally, which is why changing seasons work so well for me.  But sometimes they just take too darned long to change.

So.  I'm forcing spring, whether it wants to be here or not.  Years and years ago I was reading my Organic Gardening magazine and there was an article about growing your own sprouts.  That has been on my to-do list ever since, and we're talking like 20 years now.  (note to self:  come up with a better Bucket List.  This is embarrassing.)  Then a couple weeks ago the gardening expert on CBC radio was talking about growing sprouts indoors.  He recommended pea sprouts - apparently they taste absolutely the best.  So I headed off to the garden centre and picked up a package of organic Snow Peas.

Here they are getting their initial 5 hour soak. 

Here they have been drained (into one of my plants) and rinsed again.  There is a cheesecloth 'screen' held over the jar opening with an elastic band.  The jar is supposed to stay on a 45 degree angle to keep the sprouts from sitting in gunky water which could make us very very sick. These will be rinsed every 8 hours or so.  According to the Canadian Gardening web site they will be ready to eat in 5 days.  So, on Monday we will be having a stir fry with fresh pea sprouts.  I'll keep you posted.

And - check the UFO page if you're interested in the March UFO, which thankfully is a TFUQ.

2 comments:

  1. How much peas did you put to soak? It doesn't look like there's very much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the whole package of peas - about 2 tablespoons.

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...