Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tutorial - Scarves on the Longarm

Before I start any creative project I make sure I have completed my domestic duties... in this case I cleaned out the fridge.




Next, I assembled my supplies:










Step 1 - pin a layer of stabilizer to the canvas leaders


Step 2 - lay out a selection of yarns








Step 3 - cover with a layer of stabilizer - this requires a bit of futzing around because the yarns like to wiggle all over the place. Very similar to the useless assistant.




Step 4 - stitch out a wavy line to hold the threads in place - go around in a rectangle which will give you the basic outline of the scarf. Then go over top the yarns. If you notice any really bare spots you can slide a pin into the top layer of stabilizer and coax the stray yarn into a better spot, then stitch it down.








Step 5 - do lots and lots of stitching. You are creating fabric, a la Joyce Drexler.













Step 6 - now you can get uber-crazy. Create additional patterns with MORE stitching.






I also love thread junk - I save the pretty colours and variegated threads which are cut off during longarm quilting. I took one or two threads at a time and laid them out on the black/red scarf during step 2.








Step 7 - when you feel like you are finished remove from the longarm and cut 'em apart








Step 8 - cold water soak (for the brand I used) to remove the stabilizer. Make sure it is all out, or apparently (?) it turns hard. And that would be a bad thing. Especially if you are giving this to someone special, like your husband's boss' wife, for example. Or your landlady as an apology after you let the bathtub overflow.


Step 9 - rinse, blot in a towel, gently pull out flat and let dry.









Step 10 - find yourself a nice perle cotton or other suitable yarn to make a little fringey thing at the ends. I plan to do some embellishing with beads. Just enough to be flashy, without (hopefully) stepping over the line into gaudy.

By now, your shoulders will be SO SORE you will check the fridge to see if it needs more cleaning out. You also might be able to whine to whoever is around that you have been working very hard making ________ (insert appropriate occasion) presents and you deserve a massage. You will probably have better luck with the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your tutorial! I have a huge, huge bucket of threads from my embroidery machine that I would like to use. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial!! I have a customer that works at a hospital and she is supposed to be bringing me some biobags (all laundry is put into bags that dissolve in water so no touching of used linens) I've been wanting to try this every since I saw Marilyn Badger do it but haven't made the time.

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...